Flexible Location: Based throughout Scotland, NES is a remote friendly employer supporting office, remote and hybrid working (within the UK). We’re happy to talk about how you want to work.
Work Pattern: Permanent, Full Time, 37.5 hours per week.
Who We Are
NHS Education for Scotland (NES) is the national health board with statutory responsibilities to effect sustainable change through workforce development, education and training across the health and social care system in Scotland, while working at UK level with partner organisations.
NES Technology Service has created a strategic programme for the transformation of digital based services to allow NES to become a leading digital organisation in Scottish Health, digital by default and fully aligned with the Scottish Government’s technology strategies. It is in pursuit of this aim that NTS are working with partners to develop the National Digital Platform.
The National Digital Platform
The first point of contact for many health and social care services will be digital and this requires technology that enables innovation and communication between systems, in order to ensure these services are delivered in the most effective way.
The National Digital Platform (NDP) is an open, standards-based platform, supporting technology for the health and social care environment. It underpins our commitment to making health and care information and services more accessible. Working with those delivering solutions across health and social care to bring new and existing digital components onto the platform, for re-use.
We are in the business of providing safe, secure and innovative technology products and services that aim to improve outcomes across education, training, workforce, health and care in the public sector in Scotland. Using modern cloud-based technology we deliver sustainable products and services for the future.
We are looking for a Senior Web Developer to join our small, but highly talented and growing team to collaborate and problem-solve some of the most complex challenges in health and social care.
Do you enjoy working as part of a highly skilled multi-disciplinary agile team?
Do you want to play a key role in the development of high quality, robust and scalable web applications that will be used by a broad range of health and care professionals?
Do you have a passion for development best practices in areas such as application design patterns, cloud architecture, security, test-driven development, and continuous improvement?
Do you enjoy working at pace and being adaptive to an ever-changing environment?
Working within the NES Technology Development team you will have the opportunity to define and drive innovation that will directly inform the development of digital services for health and care professionals, and the general public.
Does this sound like you?
What We Love to See
Senior Web Developers offer a broad range of skills and experience, if you can offer some or all of these, we’d love you to apply:
- Able to provide input on technical direction and facilitate development of complex software within a multi-disciplinary agile team
- A clear understanding of agile software development practices
- Experienced in Microsoft .NET web development, SQL Server and cloud technologies such as Azure
- Ability to collaboratively design, code, test, and document software of medium to high complexity using the right standards and tools
- Experienced in development best practices including application design patterns, cloud architecture, security, and test-driven development
- Highly effective communicator knowing how to make complex technical information and language simple for diverse internal and external stakeholders (both verbally and in writing)
- Ability to work on own initiative, to organise and prioritise workload and to meet strict deadlines
Benefits Which Matter
As a valued employee of NHS Scotland, you can enjoy an extensive range of benefits including:
- Life-work balance - with opportunities for flexible working and remote working
- Generous NHS pension scheme
- Annual incremental salary progression (up to the maximum of the salary band) plus annual NHS salary scale review
- Annual Leave - 27 Days increasing in line with service plus 8 days public holiday
- NHS discounts and more
Diversity and Inclusion
Developing a successful national service for Scotland is impossible without ensuring we consider the diverse needs, perspectives and backgrounds of everyone in Scotland in our work.
We are focused on hiring the very best talent available for NES, and actively encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds and aim to ensure everyone is treated fairly, with respect and has a positive recruitment experience – regardless of the outcome.
It’s not essential to be in a Senior Web Developer right now. You may be returning from a career break (e.g. maternity, paternity, caring for others) or returning to web development after working in another field. Your experiences elsewhere can bring a fresh perspective to our work.
If you are considering applying and feel it would be helpful to discuss this initially, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Our recruitment process is currently 100% remote and if successful you would initially work remotely, working from our offices as operationally required.
All applicants who are shortlisted for interview will be contacted by e-mail.
Online interviews (including practical assessment) will take place between 11th and 13th April 2023.
For further information please refer to the Job Information Pack below.
Unless otherwise stated the deadline for applications is 23:59 hours on the closing date.