Where to find us
A vacancy has arisen for an experienced Energy & Sustainability Manager. This is an exciting opportunity for someone to join the team that is delivering the sustainability agenda at NHS Forth Valley.
This pivotal post reports directly to the Head of Climate Change & Sustainability and will be an important member of the team. The Estates and Capital Planning Department is an integral part of the Facilities & Infrastructure Directorate. Working with members of the Climate Change and Sustainability Team, you’ll develop and deliver activities required by our commitment to greenhouse gas reduction, climate adaptation, biodiversity, circular economy, and the corporate environment management system.
This role reflects the importance the organisation places on the climate change and sustainability agenda and signals our intent to take significant steps to contribute to decarbonising the estate and reducing the impact of our activities. It is well documented that the climate change emergency is a health emergency, and the NHS and wider public sector needs to position itself accordingly to address the impacts of local, national and indeed global climate change.
This is a no doubt challenging opportunity to make a positive contribution to NHS Forth Valley’s response to the current climate change and sustainability agenda. The NHS Board has ambitions in this regard, to meet and where possible exceed, the targets set by and to come from Scottish Government, from the declaration of the Climate Emergency in 2019 and onwards.
In order to support the NHS Board effectively, the role requires a sound understanding of a broad range of energy, carbon reduction, climate change and sustainability issues, including the NHS Scotland net-zero targets and guidance, gained through extensive experience at a comparable level in the health sector or an equivalent role elsewhere.
We are seeking a highly motivated professional who can work independently and as part of a team across organisations, departments and services to deliver key pieces of work. The post holder will build on the establishment and management of clinical & non-clinical networks, stakeholder engagement and event coordination, in support of our objectives.
The post holder’s primary focus would be on energy management, carbon reduction and achieving the Board’s net-zero ambitions.
Key duties & Responsibilities will include:
· Setting strategy, policy and KPI's, identifying, justifying and implementing energy reduction projects and tools.
· Implementing energy management processes, internal and external reporting on energy consumption and initiatives.
· Co-ordinating with technical staff and undertaking energy surveys, feasibility studies and implementing energy reduction projects, and supporting the engineering and project teams to implement energy reduction projects.
· Optimisation of HVAC and electrical/gas plant and equipment whilst maintaining a statutory required service provision.
· Proactive attendance and participation at Bid/Tender returns and presentations
· Introduction of new technologies to support sustainability targets
· Manage energy budgets, deal with any energy specific billing matters and recharges, and proactively lead on the correction of deviations against annual forecasts for consumption and billing.
· Use sound project management principles to deliver discrete projects, and good general organisational techniques to manage business-as-usual workload priorities.
· Ensure compliance with relevant legislation, regulations, codes of practice, technical guidance, and organisational policies specific to energy, buildings, sustainability, and wider environmental issues.
· Undertake measurement and verification of energy savings linked to any spend-to-save schemes and/or energy performance contracts, to prove that savings are genuine and as expected.
There will also, however, be a requirement to support delivery of the NHS Board’s wider climate emergency response.
Five priority areas have been identified:
· Sustainable Buildings & Land
· Sustainable Travel
· Sustainable Goods & Services
· Sustainable Care
· Sustainable Communities
You’ll work with a range of colleagues to support the development, coordination, and monitoring of biodiversity, climate adaptation, greenhouse gas reduction and circular economy plans, having a key role in ensuring sustainability projects are on track.
For informal enquiries please contact Derek Jarvie, Head of Climate Change and Sustainability. Phone: 01786 477 507 Mobile: 07583 692 611
Please note that the majority of correspondence is sent by e-mail, therefore please check your e-mail regularly (including junk folders) and also your Jobtrain account for updates.
NHS Scotland is committed to encouraging equality and diversity among our workforce and eliminating unlawful discrimination. The aim is for our workforce to be truly representative and for each employee to feel respected and able to give their best. To this end, NHS Scotland welcomes applications from all sections of society.
NHS Forth Valley is positive about disabled people and is committed to offering an interview to disabled people who meet the minimum criteria for the job. Please contact the Recruitment Office on 0330 041 4694 if there are any reasonable adjustments we can make to assist you with your application and/or interview.