Flexible Location: Based throughout Scotland, NES is a remote friendly employer supporting office, remote and hybrid working. We’re happy to talk about how you want to work.
Work Pattern: Fixed-term, Full Time, 37.5 hours per week.
Fixed-term or Secondment until 31/03/2024
*For NHS employee applicants: Secondment or SLA will be considered in the first instance.
Who We Are
NHS Education for Scotland (NES) is the national health board with statutory responsibilities to effect sustainable change through workforce development, education and training across the health and social care system in Scotland, while working at UK level with partner organisations.
NES Technology Service (NTS) has created a strategic programme for the transformation of digital based services to allow NES to become a leading digital organisation in Scottish Health, digital by default and fully aligned with the Scottish Government’s technology strategies.
We are in the business of providing safe, secure and innovative technology products and services that aim to improve outcomes across education, training, workforce, health and care in the public sector in Scotland.
We are looking for a Software Engineering Manager (Head of Service) to join our highly talented and growing team to delivery cutting edge technology solutions that will help address some of the most complex challenges in health and social care.
Do you want to improve the health and wellbeing of the people in Scotland by working on innovative technology products that support the health and social care workforce in carrying out their roles and give the public more control over their care journeys?
Do you enjoy playing a leadership role in multi-disciplinary teams to bring technology products from inception to production and sustained operation?
Do you want to play a key role in transforming how technology is delivered in the public sector in Scotland?
Do you enjoy working at pace and being adaptive to an ever-changing yet very rewarding environment?
Leading within the NTS Engineering business unit, you will have the opportunity to build successful software engineering teams with a focus on technical excellence and nurturing clear career development pathways. Your work will directly influence the development of impactful technology services for health and care professionals and the general public.
Does this sound like you?
What We Love to See
Software Engineering Managers offer a broad range of skills and experience, if you can offer some or all of these, we’d love you to apply:
- Proven experience of building and leading technology teams to successful delivery outcomes
- A clear understanding of what it takes to get complex technology solutions from inception to production
- Ability to confidently lead and facilitate programmes of work across organisational boundaries
- Highly experienced in all aspects of modern, cloud-first technology architecture, design and delivery
- Ability to collaborate effectively and build networks and communities of practice
- Highly effective communicator knowing how to make complex technical information and language simple for diverse senior internal and external stakeholders (both verbally and in writing)
- Ability to work on own initiative, to organise and prioritise workload and to meet strict deadlines
Benefits Which Matter
As a valued employee of NHS Scotland, you can enjoy an extensive range of benefits including:
- Life-work balance - with opportunities for flexible working and remote working
- Generous NHS pension scheme
- Annual incremental salary progression (up to the maximum of the salary band) plus annual NHS salary scale review
- Annual Leave - 27 Days increasing in line with service plus 8 days public holiday
- NHS discounts and more
Diversity and Inclusion
Developing a successful national service for Scotland is impossible without ensuring we consider the diverse needs, perspectives and backgrounds of everyone in Scotland in our work.
We are focused on hiring the very best talent available for NES, and actively encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds and aim to ensure everyone is treated fairly, with respect and has a positive recruitment experience – regardless of the outcome.
It’s not essential to be in a Software Engineering management role right now. You may be returning from a career break (e.g. maternity, paternity, caring for others) or returning to Software Engineering after working in another field. Your experiences elsewhere can bring a fresh perspective to our work.
If you are considering applying and feel it would be helpful to discuss this initially, please contact email@example.com
*NHS applicants who wish to apply on a secondment basis are strongly encouraged to discuss this with their current employer at the earliest opportunity.
Our recruitment process is currently 100% remote and if successful you would initially work remotely, only working from our offices once official guidance supports this.
All applicants who are shortlisted for interview will be contacted by e-mail.
Online interviews and assessments will take place w/c 18th July 2022.
For further information please refer to the Job Information Pack below.
Unless otherwise stated the deadline for applications is 23:59 hours on the closing date.