Job Title: Modern Apprenticeship – Trainee Dental Nurse
Grade: Band 4 - Annex 21 Training Post
Location: Various Accross NHS Lothian
Contract Duration: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
Closing Date: Friday 9th June
We are delighted to announce we are recruiting to a number of Band 4 Trainee Dental Nurse positions.
We are looking for a confident, enthusiastic team player with excellent interpersonal and organisational skills, within a highly motivated clinical team. This is a very rewarding role for individuals who enjoy working as part of a team.
This is an exciting opportunity for a committed individual to provide efficient and effective support to the dental team within the Oral Health Service, across the Lothian area.
What might a day in this job look like?
- Assist clinical staff and provide support in the delivery of specialist dental care including Orthodontic, Oral Surgery, Restorative and Paediatric.
- To prepare the patient for dental treatment and to care for them before, during and after treatment, giving emotional and physical support and encouragement as required throughout, ensuring their comfort and therefore making treatment easier for everyone.
- To give chairside assistance to the operator during all dental procedures, enabling treatment to be carried out to a high standard, including dental charting and writing up patient records under instruction from the clinician.
- To be responsible for the layout of units and maintenance of equipment and instruments ensuring adequate stock of materials at units.
What will I learn?
- SVQ Level 3 Dental Nursing and SQA PDA Dental Nursing which will mean 18 months of education.
- Develop planning and organisational skills
- Understanding Health and Safety and ensuring that all work is carried out within required guidelines
- Maintaining skill and knowledge level in competencies and core skills
- Key employability skills
What Qualifications / Qualities are required?
- National 5 or above in English and Science at Grade C or above. National 4 or above in Maths. Alternatively, if you have achieved NPA Oral Health SCQF Level 5/6
- 17 – 24yrs (or up to 29 if disabled or have lived experience of the care system)
- Strong IT skills when using a variety of Microsoft Packages, particularly Office 365
- Effective team player
- Enthusiasm to learn and develop
- Commitment to complete Modern Apprenticeship within an identified period
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Passion for working in a healthcare environment
- Understand and possess the NHS Lothian Values: NHS Lothian Values
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to carry out delegated responsibilities within a dynamic clinical environment
You must have eligibility to work within the UK, including UK citizen, EU settled or those who have right to remain. Due to the nature of the apprenticeship we can not support visa applications for these positions.
Please read the attachment to this advert in full as this gives you helpful information on how to complete the application form as well as what is expected within a Modern Apprenticeship Role.
If you believe you have the potential to help us deliver world class healthcare and want to start to develop your career, we would love you to apply.
The recruitment process will consist of various stages, all of which are mandatory,and will all be undertaken on-line and via MSTeams:
13th June 2023
Information Session to be held via MSTeams 1400-1600
15th June 2023
Group Interview via MSTeams
13th June 2023
Week commencing 19th June 2023
Face to Face Interview
Candidates who are successful in interview will be expected to start in NHS Lothian on Monday 31st July and we are not able to alter this date.