• Band 8c: £71,365 to £76,914 per annum (pro rata)
• Hours of Work: 37.5 hours per week (We are happy to consider applicants seeking reduced working hours – up to 30 per week)
• Fixed term 36 Months
Could you be our next Software Engineering Manager?
We are continuing to hire during COVID-19. Our recruitment process is 100% remote and if successful you would work remotely, only working from our offices once official guidance supports this
NDS (NES Digital Service) is a fast-growing team within NHS Scotland using a modern tech stack and lean agile development practices to build and scale a new digital platform and services helping improve health & social care for millions across Scotland.
Our work is challenging, varied and hugely rewarding – NDS is a unique environment where you could help improve eye care, cancer treatment, address the impact of COVID-19 (and much more…)
We are non-hierarchical. We are truly collaborative working in cross-functional teams. We fail-forward. We iterate. We continually learn and share our knowledge.
We are proud to have attracted colleagues from a wide range of backgrounds including tech (Skyscanner, NCR, Travelnest, JP Morgan, TV Squared, CareSourcer) as well as clinical and other sectors. You can discover more about our team on our blog.
We deliver quickly… in 10 days we designed, built, and launched a complex service for people shielding during COVID lockdown ensuring access to regular food parcel deliveries and priority supermarket delivery slots.
A Software Engineering Manager this is a unique, high-impact opportunity to ensure the success of their teams; our engineering group and NDS in delivering the best possible digital health and care services for NHS Scotland.
Respected for both your technical and leadership skills you will take pride in enabling others to thrive by creating the conditions for both individuals and teams to continually improve.
You will typically be focused on:
• People management -including one to ones, on-boarding, personal development
• Delivery of software - including hands on development, involvement in team processes, clearing impediments
• Wider engineering management - e.g. establishing training needs and delivery; contributing to improving engineering recruitment
• Ensuring a safe, healthy and inclusive working environment
Engineering at NDS…
- Our teams work in a cloud-first environment deploying and managing the services they’ve built applying modern CI/CD, monitoring and alerting practices.
- Modern tech stack including React, Node, Java, Kubernetes, Kibana and AWS
- Agile, collaborative and cross-functional teams including Clinical Leads and colleagues from Product, Interaction Design, Service Design and Information Governance.
DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
Developing a successful national service for Scotland is impossible without ensuring we consider the diverse needs, perspectives and backgrounds of everyone in Scotland in our work.
We are focused on hiring the very best talent available for NDS, and actively encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds and aim to ensure everyone is treated fairly, with respect and has a positive recruitment experience – regardless of the outcome.
If you are considering applying and feel it would be helpful to discuss this initially please get in touch
It’s not essential to be in a software engineering role right now. You could be returning from maternity, a career break or returning to software development after working in another field
BENEFITS WHICH MATTER
- Life-work balance - with opportunities for flexible working and remote working
- Generous NHS pension scheme
- Annual incremental salary increases (up to the maximum of the salary band) plus annual NHS salary scale review
- Annual Leave – 27 Days increasing in line with service plus 8 days public holiday
NHS discounts and more
Your responsibilities will include but are not restricted to…
- Leadership, line management of the NDS Engineering Service ensuring excellence in all the complex, integrated and diverse services it delivers and supports. Promote a culture of leading-edge practice to build capacity and capability.
- Initiate, create and lead workstreams across a wide range of disciplines at national and regional levels for priority areas relevant to the field of expertise; this includes the design, development and operation of information systems and services used across NHS Scotland such as highly-scalable cloud-based web applications and services including continuous integration and continuous deployment (CICD) pipeline design using technologies such as TeamCity, Azure DevOps or Jenkins.
WHAT WE LOVE TO SEE
- Proven and demonstrable proponent of best practice and standards in cloud native solutions, working in cross-functional software delivery teams.
- To provide evidence of leadership skills (specifically in Digital architecture and design delivering all aspects of a national/international set of highly scalable web applications and services in the public cloud) and ability to influence at all levels using self-management ability and analytical, prioritisation and judgement skills in order to influence digital education or health and social care services.
- Proven and demonstrable ability to function and support others within the context of a rapidly changing environment e.g. Digital industry.
Please note that this position is offered on a 36-month Fixed Term Contract Basis
For further information please refer to the job information pack.
For Assistance please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Unless otherwise stated the deadline for applications is 23:59 hours on the closing date.
CVs will not be accepted.