**** COVID-19 - Please note that during this time all interviews will be conducted remotely. If successful you will also initially be working remotely in line with guidance from Scottish Government***
Senior Educator - Pharmacy Practice Education Coordinator
Agenda for Change Band 8a: £50,470 to £54,482 per annum (pro rata)
1.1 WTE (variable full time and part time)
Fixed term / secondment for a period up to March 2022*
(SLA or secondment only for NHS staff in the first instance)
Base – currently flexible / Any NES Office Location
Who We Are
NHS Education for Scotland (NES) is an education and training body and a special health board within NHS Scotland, with responsibility of developing and delivering education and training for the healthcare workforce in Scotland. Full information on the recruiting department is available here https://www.nes.scot.nhs.uk/education-and-training/by-discipline/pharmacy.aspx
This is an exciting time to join our innovative NES Pharmacy Senior Educator team with several significant intiatives planned which will support the development of the NHSScotland Pharmacy workforce to improve care of patients as medicines experts within the Health and Social care team. This is an excellent opportunity for a pharmacist with experience/an interest in educational initiatives to expand their career experience, with responsibilities at both regional and national level.
These current posts involve being part of the NES team organising and supporting education and training for students and trainees across Scotland within the NES national Pharmacy Additional Cost of Teaching (ACTp) programme, Foundation Training Year (previously Pre-Registration Pharmacists Scheme, PRPS) and other opportunities may arise within the wider workstreams.
What you'll do
Senior educators in Pharmacy provide organisation and support for tutors and trainees across all our workstreams with a focus on one area. The current vacancies offer the opportunity to focus within ACTp and FTY.
Available posts are:
- Additional Cost of Teaching Pharmacy (ACTp) 3.75 hours per week (more sessions may become available) – up to March 2022
- Foundation Training Year (FTY) 37.5 hours per week (full time or part time options available) – up to March 2022.
There may be more options available over the coming weeks within other workstreams.
Applicants must confirm which post(s) they wish to apply for, and the number of days/sessions they are interested in. Please use the Assessment Section in your application form to confirm this detail.
Key tasks will include but are not restricted to;
- Manage, co-ordinate and support colleagues, within their area of expertise and across NHS Scotland, in developing the learning environment and ensuring education andtraining provision, supports policy initiatives and are cognisant of existing educational frameworks
- Deliver direct support to trainees and tutors/ facilitators via training sessions/peer sessions and remote contact for support. (Current delivery approaches have been adapted in response to Covid-19).
- Develop information sharing networks, structures, and establish appropriate processes supporting effective two-way communication impacting upon colleagues at national, regional and health board levels across NHS Scotland
- Analyse training and education needs of those colleagues that provide education and/or training to relevant staff
- Develop and maintain effective links with key stakeholders in order to support wider NES activity.
What you'll bring
These will include but are not restricted to;
- Experience of working in an educationally focused environment.
- Experience of planning and delivering education and training.
- Experience of working in a patient centred environment is essential and working towards, or qualified as, an independent prescriber is desirable.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, negotiating and influencing skills
- Ability to develop and maintain good communications and working relationships with a wide range of staff, community groups, internal and external stakeholders and trainees/students.
You should be registered with the General Pharmaceutical Council of Great Britain
To have an informal discussion or for further information about this role please contact NES Pharmacy at email@example.com
Applicants who wish to apply on a secondment basis are strongly encouraged to discuss this with their current employer at the earliest opportunity.
* For NHS employees considering this post, please note that appointments will only be considered on a secondment or SLA basis, in the first instance
Please note that travel across Scotland is a business as usual requirement of this role and may require overnight stays (currently on hold due to covid-19 response). We will be offering flexibility of interview date and will offer remote interviews (via Microsoft Teams).
If you are interested in this vacancy and would like further information, please refer to the job information pack below which includes a copy of the Job Description, Person Specification and Conditions of Service.
Applicants must confirm which post(s) they wish to apply for, and the number of days/sessions they are interested in. Please use the assessment section in your application form to confirm this detail.
Closing Date: 13th June 2021
Interview Date: 30th June 2021